All children have gifts and challenges and sometimes need supplemental help to face the challenges. As an educator I believe my first area of responsibility is to create a safe place in which a child can comfortably reveal and work with the challenges that he or she faces. I believe that children have the most success when there is a coordinated effort among all those involved in their education. It is also important that the strengths of the child be recognized and called forth to help address the weaknesses and that the child is moved toward an understanding of their own resiliency and their abilities to overcome the challenges they face.
I have been working in the field of education since 1985 as a teacher, program director, principal and as a tutor.
- Principal of a Montessori School for seven years
- Fifteen years as a Montessori teacher with three to six year old children
- Directed children’s tutoring and enrichment program for at-risk children in Washington DC for three years.
- Directed Summer Creative Arts and Reading Program for three years.
- Taught poetry writing to elementary school children.
- Tutoring children from Kindergarten to College age since 2005
- Bachelor of Arts from Moravian University
- AMI (Association Montessori Internacionale) Primary Diploma
- The Stixrud Group tutor training course; “Strategies That Work”. Includes strategies in how to address students with executive function challenges, ADD, writing and reading difficulties and other diagnosed disabilities
- Phono-Graphix Reading Course
- Read Naturally Reading Course
- Rave-O Reading Training
- Great Leaps Program
- Sounds In Syllables Language I (Atlantic Seaboard Dyslexia Education Center)
- Multisensory Math Workshops (ASDEC)
- Ongoing workshops, lectures and training with The Stixrud Group
- Executive Function Workshops
- Study Skills for the LD Student (ASDEC)
- Reiki(Levels I, II and III)
- Chakra Energy Balancing (Levels I, II, III and IV)
Areas of Specialty:
- Phonemic Awareness and Decoding
- Fluency and Reading Comprehension
- Executive Function
- Study Skills
- Math up to Algebra II
- Written Language
To arrange for treatment or for more information, please contact Rob Soley, Academic Tutor